What Happened at Big Picture?
The first annual Big Picture Festival on October 13, 2018, in Peoria’s Warehouse District was a grassroots collaboration of artists and arts organizations. From 35 chalk artists creating short-lived works of art (the chalk creations disappeared the next day in the rain) to four professional mural painters adding four new murals in Peoria's Warehouse District, the day was a celebration of the vibrancy of Peoria's art community.
Check out this video of the day filmed and produced by Videogenique.
Mural Artists~Ard Doko ~ Brenda Gentry ~ Brett Fitzgerald ~ Megan Couri
Performances~Directed by Bryan Blanks ~ Corn Stock Theatre ~ Central Illinois Ballet ~ P413 Dance Troupe ~ Peoria Players Theatre ~ The Peoria Area Performing Arts Studio ~ Varwig Studios ~ Williamsfield High School: A Truthright Production.
Artists Collaborators~Bob Doucette ~ CWTC ~ Gerald M. Brookhart Arts in Education Spring Celebration ~ Gene-O Mialkowski ~ Ghostbusters Peoria ~ GLOW from Manual with Trish Williams ~ Live Abbey Road Peoria, Peoria Art Guild ~ Quila Dixon Makeup ~ Soulside Healing Arts ~ The Peoria Playhouse Children’s Museum ~ Tom Slotten ~ TJ Bayard ~ William Butler ~ Yaku Peoria.
Breakdancing~BCIA ~ Dopestylez Crew ~ DJ MacDon
Cars as Art~Darius Donaldson
Musicians~Chris Stevens ~ Gentle Gorilla ~ Joe Couri and War Muhammad ~ Matt Maeson ~ Phanie Rae & The Soul Shakers ~ Projekts Music ~ The Road Less Traveled
Made by Possible by the Sponsors above and major donors~apaceDesign~Sharon & John Amdall ~ Community Foundation of Central Illinois ~ Flo & Sid Banwart ~ Tom and Vicki Carney ~ Denis and Jeanie Cyr ~ Georgia & Christopher Glynn ~ Mark & Susie Ketterer ~ Mary Lemmons & David Walvoord ~ Archie Lyons ~ Mark & Maggie Misselhorn ~ Prairie Center of the Arts ~ Andrew Rand ~ Molly Richmond ~ Sid Ruckriegel ~ Simantel ~ Tourism Reserve Fund Board ~ Will & Cathy Williams ~ And Anonymous
Big Picture Arts Festival resulted in
- 4 new murals on display in Peoria's Warehouse District at 1311SW Adams and 1323 SW Adams
- 2 new public murals created by the community at 1318 SW Adams and 1323 SW Adams
- collaboration amongst artists and arts organizations
- Exposure to the new Sous Chef, a grocery store and meal prep and the new Casa de Arte, a restaurant
- Student and children participation
- Synergy from amongst people from all walks of life in our community
Get ready for 2019. October 12 is the Second Annual Big Picture Festival. Until then, enjoy the results of 2018. Stop down in the area and check out the murals. And while you are on an art tour, you can also investigate some of the over 300 monuments in the Peoria area.
Draw for a Cause Chalk Painting
35 artists and artists team created works of art in chalk in 8’x8’ squares at the Big Picture Arts Festival. The public voted for their favorite chalk drawings. Prizes were awarded to the top three favorites.
- $500 First Place ~ Devin McGlone
- $300 Second Place ~ Erica Mancuso (who kindly donated it right back to Big Picture. Thank you!)
- $200 Third Place ~ A tie between the team of Joe Gabbert/Nick Carmack and Quinton Thomas
Each of the squares was sponsored by a local business or arts patron. Their sponsorship will help fund teaching artists to hold art classes for children in community centers and after-school programs. Big Picture has successfully run art classes at Common Place and The Neighborhood House as well as a summer mural program and video classes at Peoria Public Schools, and these sponsors are now helping us continue to add vibrancy into the lives of children.
The Big Picture Film Festival premiered on October 13, 2018, at the Peoria Riverfront Museum. The festival was open to filmmakers in Central Illinois (within 50 miles of Peoria) The films were 1-8 minutes long, including credits.
Top films and winners were selected by a panel of 3 jurors including
- Helen Caldwell, Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul Script Supervisor
- Mary Givens, Mics Uncut Producer and Host
- Seth Henrikson, Pottersville Director
Winners were announced the night of the festival, October 13, 2018.
- $500 First Place ~ Tanner Robinson
- $350 Second Place ~ Brandon Towns
- $150 Third Place ~the team of Jeffrey Nobel and Antwan Flowers
Get ready for the 2019 Big Picture Film Festival. Local filmmakers
- October 11 ~ Local and International/national filmmakers shown on Main Street corridor
- October 12 ~ The best of both local and international/national at Peoria Riverfront Museum